Blogging is my virtual release of thoughts, fears, anger, joy and life stuff. You know, that deep stuff that everybody keeps trying to understand or ignore and run away from. I guess bloggers just aren't afraid to share or have a serious ego complex. I blog, you decide.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pounding Triangles Into Squares?



Am I trying to create something? Manufacture it? Should I even foster the creation of a relationship? Should I push it along or should I just let something happen? What does letting something happen even look like really? Am I not supposed to take the bull by the horns and charge ahead rapidly?

I guess the main concern is that I would try to pound a triangle block into a hole fit for a square. Have I been doing that my whole life? Is that why certain relationships fail? Do we try to pound triangles into squares? Will there ever be a perfect fit or just the closest match?

Some advice that I was given recently and a critique on me has been that, in relationships, I just want to know if things will work so soon that I sometimes come across as too persistent to know the other person too quick. I guess that would be by asking too many questions too soon and just not letting things happen naturally. Maybe I do do that, but is it a bad thing? I mean why wouldn't somebody want to know as much as they could know to see if there's any reason to pursue anything more?

Relational bonding can happen even if there are not that many commonalities with the other person, and one of the main relational glues is time spent with one another. So, why invest that time... why do that if you can find out sooner rather than later if things are going to work out? The only reason why you wouldn't do that is because you can't. Even though you think you may know what you need to know, you have your bulleted list of qualities the other person should meet, there is still so much that you don't know that needs to come with time and time spent together... walking together, talking together, sharing casually, learning, discovering, caring, and eventually loving.

I think in our saturated material world we get confused on the most precious gifts that are unseen such as these things I just listed. Make no mistake they are gifts and mature gifts are bestowed upon one another when a certain level of trust has been established, and trust takes time. A willingness to trust too soon is unhealthy. Of course each person has a certain level of depth that he or she is comfortable with, but in giving yourself to the other person quickly you are stating that your own personal gifts are not that valuable. They must be earned by the other over time. Microwaved relationships can flare up and be the most exciting thing that has ever happened, but it also gets cool quickly and really doesn't taste as good as something cooked in the oven. The oven is always better than the microwave, but we may think we don't have the time for the long and slower process (I'm not even going to get into the GE 3 type of heat oven that can cook a turkey in 20 minutes... freaking G.E. - my analogy would've been flawless if it weren't for them).

Questions need to be answered through the hallways of life. How does the other person handle it when your sad? What unknown expectations are being placed on you? How do we treat each other in a fight? Is this person kind... no matter what? Do they bring you up or bring you down? Can you handle each other's faults? Is the man really a man or is he just an older boy?

Try as we might, that kind of knowledge will not come unless it is tested by the seas of life. Then you may know if you are trying to pound triangles into holes fit for squares.

1 Comments:

Blogger graceling said...

Hey Dude,

You know what we were doing a year ago? Maybe a whole lot of that could have been avoided if you and I had both figured out the whole triangle block, square hole thing sooner.

Good luck figuring this out. This relationship stuff is never as easy as we wish, is it?

1/11/2007 1:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home